We are all concerned about security and want to protect our privacy over the internet. So incognito mode surfing is not enough to protect our privacy, we need an extra layer of security which we can get by using some of the best chrome extensions for security and privacy.
So here’s the list of best chrome extensions which I personally use(some of them) or suggest to use for security and privacy.
You may have used or known about some of the chrome extensions but I assure you that by the end of this post you will never need to search for any other chrome extensions for security because I tried to cover every single extension which is best for security and privacy.
Best Chrome Extensions for Security and Privacy
Disconnect lets you block all the malicious websites that try to steal your data or invisible websites that track you. They were named as the best privacy tool by the New York Times (2016).
According to their stats disconnect loads website pages by 44%. The disconnect is an opensource project so this chrome extension is totally secure to use. It has over 800k installs as of now.
Avast is one of the best antivirus available for windows. This is browser extensions of avast which detects any virus available in any site.
- Identifies and blocks phishing sites trying to steal your data
- Easily check the rating of any website just by hovering over the link
- Warns you when you’re visiting websites with bad reputations
HTTPS is very important for security and data privacy but unfortunately, many sites still do not have HTTPS connection which makes them a vulnerable site. So HTTPS Everywhere is an extension that converts every HTTP connection site to HTTPS automatically. It will protect you against many forms of surveillance and account hijacking, and some forms of censorship.
Bitdefender TrafficLight adds a strong and non-intrusive layer of security to your browsing experience. It is a very popular Chrome extension with over 500k installations.
- You can block certain page/part of the website which is malicious and surf the site freely. So you don’t have to block the whole website.
- TrafficLight scans the pages you visit for malware and phishing attempts
- It flags malware and fraudulent websites in search results.
Ublock origin is a very efficient chrome extension which is easy on memory and CPU footprint, and yet can load and enforce thousands of more filters.
- When you click on search results, it blocks hidden trackers on the sites you visit.
- Always take you to encrypted versions of sites when possible, and exposes poor privacy practices when known.
Keeper Password Manager is great for storing your password, photos, etc. It protects your confidential files with encryption. Easily add files, photos, and videos to your vault and organize them with folders.
- You can also share passwords or files directly with another Keeper user.
- It uses multiple layers of encryption by storing your data in our own secure cloud
Click&Clean is a great extension for cleaning cookies, malware without going to settings instantly, with just 1-click on the Click&Clean button!
- Scan your PC for Malware
- Delete your browsing history
- Remove download history
- Erase temporary files
- Clear cookies – Empty cache
- Delete client-side Web SQL Databases
- Remove Flash Cookies (LSOs)
- Prevention against cross-site scripting (XSS)
- It Prevents your credit card details from being stolen by shopping site skimmers or your computer’s processing power being harvested by web miners.
- PFS indicator – check if sites using SSL for encryption support Perfect Forward Secrecy.
Ghostery is great all in one option for ad-blocking, stop tracking, and speed up website page loading speed. Enhanced Anti Tracking also anonymizes your data to further protect your privacy.
Domain Whitelist extension is relatively new and it has only 1000+ users but in my opinion, this tool is great for stoping cookie stealing, blocking-ad, and many other good features that you will love. This extension is smaller is as compared to other extensions giving the same features.
LastPass is the same as the keeper extension which I mentioned above. It is also a great password manager that allows you to access your saved record from every computer and mobile device through its android app.
- You can Store login usernames and passwords
- Checkout fast by adding credit cards & shopping profiles(not recommended though)
- Attach docs, PDFs, images, audio, and more
- Save any piece of data you need to keep secure and easy-to-find anytime needed.
Like other extensions mentioned privacy badger also blocks trackers. But the unique feature is that instead of keeping lists of what to block, it learns by watching which domains appear to be tracking you as you browse the Web.
Unshorten.link is a must chrome extension in my opinion because many spammy links are shortened which makes impossible for human to know where that link is taking them.
Using this extension any shortened link you click on will be automatically expanded and analyzed for malware giving you a clear view of where the link is taking you.
Blur is a chrome extension for storing your sensitive data such as- passwords, usernames, etc.
- Creates strong encrypted passwords in one click
- Saves encrypt and organize your passwords
- Works seamlessly across your iPhone, iPad, and browser
Simple Blocker is an easy to use Chrome extension which allows you to block websites. You can even block specific subdomains (news.google.com) or entire websites (facebook.com) at the click of a button.
- Block site for a certain amount of time using its Sleep Timer
- Clean, simple user interface with easy-to-use options menus
Panic Button is a great way to hide all of your tabs at once with a single click. It saves open tabs as bookmarks in a separate folder, after which it turns green and shows you the number of hidden tabs.
You can even use keyboard shortcuts for panic actions.
Unseen for Facebook is a great chrome extension if you want to use Facebook with extra features.
- Block the ”Seen” feature
- Block the “Delivery receipts” feature
- Block “Last active” indicator
- Block the “Typing…” indicator
Although these chrome extensions are best for security and privacy, I will still suggest you not to download file, application, software from any unknown sources. And never ever store your credit card details in your browser even though they claim to be ultra-safe. So you can use these chrome extensions for security and privacy.
Thanks for reading my article on the best chrome extensions for security and privacy and if you find this helpful do share with others. Also, check out another post on- Best chrome extensions for developers or Best Resources To Learn Svelte or 4 Best Ways to Host website for Free